Are You Feeling A Little Old Today: 1975 vs. 2007
After travelling to northern California all week for my speaking engagements to court reporting students and law firm clients, I feel a little tired and -- I hate to say it -- a little bit older. The road weary traveller returns with a list of differences from 1975 to 2007. Enjoy!1
975 vs. 2007
1975 : Long hair
2007 : Longing for hair
1975: Acid rock
2007: Acid reflux
1975: Moving to California because it's cool
2007: Moving to Arizona because it's warm
1975: Tryin to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2007: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
1975: Seeds and stems
1975: Hoping for a BMW
2007: Hoping for a BM
1975: Going to a new, hip joint
2007: Receiving a new hip joint
1975: Rolling Stones
2007: Kidney Stones
1975: Being called into the principal's office
2007: Calling the principal's office
1975: Screw the system
2007: Upgrade the system
1975: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2007: Children begging you to get their heads shaved
1975: Passing the drivers' test
2007: Passing the vision test
Freshman College Kids Were Born In 1987
I was a sophomore in high school when today's freshman college class was being born. Yikes! Now I'm an old man court reporting agency owner. Just in case you weren't feeling old enough already today, this might alter your perspective a little.. Each year the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen.
Here's this year's list:
- The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1987.
- They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
- Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
- Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
- The CD was introduced the year they were born.
- They have always had an answering machine.
- They have always had cable.
- They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
- Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
- Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
- They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
- They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
- They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
- They never heard: Where's the Beef?, I'd walk a mile for a Camel, or de plane, Boss, de plane.
- They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.
- McDonald 's never came in Styrofoam containers.
- They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.
Thursday, July 12, 2007